Updates over WhatsApp
If you own a car, you must know that your car requires valid insurance coverage before you take it for a spin. Just like you need a driving license to drive a car, you also need a third-party liability insurance too. This has been mandated by the
Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. However, it is recommended to opt for a comprehensive car insurance policy that provides a wider scope of cover.
A comprehensive car insurance policy, as the name suggests, is a car insurance policy that provides the most inclusive scope of coverage. The comprehensive policy covers two aspects of possible car-related losses that you might suffer. One aspect
is the mandatory third-party liability cover. Under this cover, the comprehensive insurance policy covers the financial liability that
The other aspect is the coverage for your car's own damages. If your car gets damaged in an accident or due to any other natural or man-made cause, the comp insurance car policy will cover such damages too. You will get compensated for the repair
costs so that you don't suffer any financial strain.
The policy provides full insurance for cars by also covering instances of theft. So, if you need complete protection against car-related emergencies and losses, comprehensive car insurance will be a suitable choice.
Coverage under a comprehensive car insurance policy is allowed for the following emergencies
If your car causes death or physical injury to any third party, the financial loss that you suffer will be covered under the policy. Moreover, if your car damages third-party property, you will get covered for such damages too.
In case your car gets damaged due to a natural disaster like a hurricane, storm, cyclone, earthquake, lightning, etc., the damages will be covered, and you will be compensated for the financial loss that you suffer.
If your car is damaged due to man-made calamities like fire, implosion or explosion, riots, strikes, etc., you will get coverage. The cost of repairing the damages will be borne by the policy.
If your car is stolen, the insurance company will pay for the financial loss that you suffer.
A comprehensive car insurance policy allows you to add personal accident insurance to the cover. If selected, the policy will give you a lump sum benefit for accidental death or permanent disability of the owner driver.
Despite having a comprehensive scope of coverage, a comprehensive car insurance policy does not cover the following instances of claims or losses –
1. Normal wear and tear of the car and its parts
3. Mechanical or electrical breakdown
4. Consequential losses
5. Violation of limitations of use
6. Driving without a driving license
7. Driving outside the borders of India
8. Driving under the influence
9. Engaging in a hazardous or criminal act.
A comprehensive car insurance policy is a suitable choice for your car. Here are the reasons why
1. You can get a complete scope of coverage when you buy comprehensive car insurance. Both third-party liabilities and car-related own damages of the car will get covered.
2. You get complete peace of mind in car-related emergencies.
3. You can avail of the no-claim bonus if you don’t make a claim. This bonus accumulates after every claim-free year and gives you a discount on the premium amount at renewal.
4. There are add-ons offered by comprehensive plans. These add-ons help you enhance the scope of the policy and enjoy higher claim payments.
5. You can repair the car at the best garages and enjoy cashless claim settlements.
Here are some of the features of a comprehensive car insurance policy
1. Comprehensive insurance coverage is offered for one year. The plan can be renewed annually.
2. The Insured Declared Value (IDV) is the maximum sum insured fixed by the insurer which is provided on theft or total loss of the insured vehicle. IDV is the current market value of the vehicle. You get the compensation equivalent to IDV in the
case of total loss and theft of the car.
3. The no-claim bonus helps you avail discounts on the premium amount of Own damage ranging from 20% to 50% at renewal
4. Other premium discounts are also available under the comprehensive insurance policy that helps you make the premium more affordable.
5. The comprehensive car insurance coverage offers optional add-ons for widening the scope of the policy.
6. There is a compulsory deductible under the policy. This deductible represents the amount that you have to pay in every claim.
7. You can also choose a voluntary deductible and bear an additional amount of the claim. This helps you earn a premium discount.
8. You can get cashless claim settlement under a comprehensive car insurance policy.
The benefits of comprehensive car insurance are many. Let's have a look at them
The comprehensive car insurance policy gives you complete coverage against the financial losses that you might suffer related to your car. You can get compensated for the repair costs, third-party financial loss, and even theft of your car.
With a comprehensive policy, you can get complete financial security because of the wide scope of coverage that the plan offers. You know that in the case of a mishap, the policy will rescue you and safeguard your finances.
With a range of add-ons that come with comprehensive car insurance plans, you can customise your policy and ensure secure coverage for the possible contingencies that you might face. This enhances the coverage and increases the claim amount.
The premiums of comprehensive car insurance are affordable since you can claim different types of discounts like the no-claim bonus discount, discount for installing safety devices, discount for being a member of an automobile association, etc.
One of the benefits of comprehensive insurance is that it helps you fulfil the legal mandate. The policy provides coverage for the mandatory third-party legal liability fulfilling the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, and allowing you to
drive your car without incurring legal penalties.
Due to these advantages of comprehensive car insurance, coverage is recommended for your car.
Kotak General Insurance allows you to buy comprehensive car insurance policies online without hassle. The process is as follows
1. Visit www.kotakgeneral.com and click on 'Car Insurance'.
2. A new page will open wherein you should click on ‘Get a Quick Quote’.
3. In the next page, provide the registration details of your car, i.e., the registration number and the details of the previous policy (if any).
4. Then provide your vehicle details, i.e., the model and variant of the car, registration location, and registration date.
5. Enter your mobile number and email ID for personalised assistance and click 'Continue'
6. You will be able to see the premium of the comprehensive car insurance policy. You can customise the coverage with suitable add-ons, look for discounts and even change the IDV.
7. Then, pay the calculated premium online and fill out the application form.
8. Kotak General will assess your application and issue the policy.
You will be able to buy comprehensive car insurance online instantly, and the soft copy will be emailed to you. The physical hard copy will be sent to your address after a few days.
A comprehensive car insurance policy is suitable for every car owner if -
1. has a new or used car
2. wants complete protection against car-related damages and theft
3. wants complete financial security against car-related emergencies
4. has a premium car wherein the repair costs are very high
A comprehensive car insurance policy is not only available for new cars but for old ones too. You can insure your old car under a comprehensive car insurance policy for maximum coverage and complete peace of mind.
Kotak General Insurance offers a range of add-ons with its comprehensive car insurance policy. Here’s a look at the available add-ons that you can choose for a more inclusive scope of coverage –
Filing a claim under your comprehensive car insurance policy has been simplified by Kotak General Insurance. You can easily file your claim and get a settlement with minimal hassles. The process is as follows -
1. Cashless Claim Process
2. Step 1: Call us on 1 800 266 4545 (8 a.m. – 8 p.m.) and intimate us about your claim with the details of your policy.
3. Step 2: Once your claim is registered, our customer support executive will provide you with a Claim Reference Number.
4. Step 3: You will be required to submit the relevant documents, which may include your Driving License, RC Copy, and Policy FIR Copy, in accordance with the Policy terms and conditions.
5. Step 4: An arrangement will be made by us for an inspection, it will be conducted within 24 hours if a claim is reported on a working day, or the next working day if the claim is reported on a Sunday or a public holiday.
6. Step 5: On cashless facility confirmation, the vehicle can be repaired at a preferred network garage, on payment made directly to the garage.
7. Step 6: You will only be required to pay the deductible as mentioned in the policy, and the depreciation value, salvage, etc., as informed by the surveyor.
8. Reimbursement Process
9. Step 1: Call us on 1 800 266 4545 (8 a.m. – 8 p.m.) and intimate us about your claim with the details of your policy.
10. Step 2: Once your claim is registered, our customer support executive will provide you with a Claim Reference Number.
11. Step 3: You will be required to submit the relevant documents, which may include your Driving License, RC Copy, and Policy FIR Copy, in accordance with the Policy terms and conditions.
12. Step 4: An arrangement will be made by us for an inspection, it will be conducted within 24 hours if a claim is reported on a working day, or the next working day if the claim is reported on a Sunday or a public holiday.
13. Step 5: The vehicle can then be repaired by the insurer followed by the payment for the same by the insurer.
14. Step 6: Submit all bills, payment receipt along with your policy details to us, and we will make the payment within 7 working days of completion of the documentation
15. In the case of third-party claims, inform the police and file an FIR. The claim will be handled by the Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal, which will determine your financial liability. We will pay the liability, once determined, and compensate the
third party on your behalf.
Here are some tips on how to select comprehensive car insurance –
1. Choose a policy that offers a high IDV so that your claim is maximised in the case of total loss or theft.
2. Choose an insurer that has a wide network of cashless garages for each cashless claim settlement.
3. Look for the available premium discounts so that you can save more
4. Look for suitable add-ons and add them to the base policy for enhanced coverage
5. Understand the claim process of the car insurance policy. Choose a policy whose claim process is the easiest so that you don’t face problems during emergencies.
6. Check the add-on premiums to ensure that the policy remains affordable in your pockets.
7. Opt for the personal accident cover because it offers a considerable sum insured for very low premiums and gives additional coverage in the case of accidental emergencies.
8. Maintain a no-claim bonus and use it to claim the maximum possible premium discount if you are renewing the policy. So, know how to choose comprehensive car insurance online and buy the right plan.
No, a comprehensive car insurance policy is not mandated by law. The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 necessitates only a third-party plan. Though not necessary, the comprehensive car insurance policy is a better alternative as it gives a wider scope of
A comprehensive car insurance plan is valid for one year, after which you have to renew it.
A comprehensive insurance cover for cars is one that covers the mandatory third-party legal liability and the damages that the car itself might suffer. The policy also covers theft of the car and secures your finances against car-related emergencies.
Yes, damages to the engine is covered under a comprehensive car insurance policy by opting for Engine Protect Add on Cover. It covers consequential loss to engine & gear box parts because of water ingression and oil leakage due to accidental undercarriage
Kotak General Insurance offers a comprehensive car insurance policy for all leading brands of cars. Find your match today –