Read about RTO Office Tamil Nadu. For more information, check out the car & bike insurance policy from Kotak General Insurance.
The Regional Transport Offices (RTO) or Regional Transport Authorities (RTA) in Tamil Nadu have been established by the Transport Department. The Motor Vehicle Act of 1988 outlines the rules & obligations that the RTO office of Tamil Nadu is responsible for carrying out. The RTO office in Tamil Nadu, like other regional offices, is controlled and administered by the appointed Transport Commissioner.
The major duties of an RTO Office in Tamil Nadu include maintaining a comprehensive database of all vehicles registered in a certain city or state. Let's learn the functions in detail.
The following functions are performed primarily by the RTO in Tamil Nadu.
• It is in charge of granting various types of licences and obtaining motor vehicle tax from state residents who own vehicles.
• Tamil Nadu RTOs are in charge of providing permanent and provisional driving licences to applicants under their purview.
• RTO also handles ownership transfers, No Objection Certificates for vehicle transfers, tourist permits, road tax collecting, and duplicate driving licence issuance.
• Obtaining a conductor's licence, renewing an existing one, obtaining a duplicate, and changing an address on an existing one.
• The RTO office also performs duties related to traffic control, appropriate road sign installation, and road safety.
• The Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate is given by RTOs when a vehicle's emissions are inspected.
• A fitness certificate for a transport vehicle and its cancellation if required.
• Issuance of temporary registration of motor vehicles, duplicate registration certificate, renewal of registration, and transfer of ownership.
CHENNAI (NORTH EAST)
Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu is classified into non-transport and transport vehicles categories:
• Motorcycles with gear
• Motorcycles without gears
• Light Motor Vehicles
• Light motor vehicle
• Heavy motor vehicle
• Road Roller and Trailer licence
The RTO also issues the learner's licence for new applicants who want a permanent licence after passing the driving test. Moreover, it issues duplicate licenses to those whose DL has been lost or stolen.
As per state government norms, car insurance coverage is the legal requirement for any vehicle registered with the Tamil Nadu RTO Office and running on public roads. You need to be a responsible citizen and follow all the regulations, along with having every essential document required for driving a vehicle. If you lack and want to issue or change info in any document, visit the nearest RTO in Tamil Nadu. The RTO office also offers the facility to apply online for a driving licence via the "mparivahan" app or website.