The RTOs (Regional Transport Offices), also known as RTA (Regional Transport Authority), are established in all the states and union areas of India. Particularly, every RTO office in the state of Sikkim is administered by the Sikkim Transport Department. The Motor Vehicle Act of 1988 governs the duties & responsibilities of Sikkim’s RTO offices.
The transport commissioner appointed by the State Government oversees the working of the RTOs and if the rules & regulations are properly being enforced. The functioning of the RTO involves many essential responsibilities.
Functions of RTO Office Sikkim
Every RTO office in Sikkim carries out the following functions:
• Issuance and Transfer of registration certificate
• Renewal of registration certification
• Issuance of learner’s and permanent driving licence
• Update the changes done in the registration certificate
• Endorsement/termination of hire-purchase agreement
• Issuance of vehicle fitness certificate
• Issuance and renewal of commercial vehicle permit
• Collecting fees and taxes once the vehicle is registered.
• If a vehicle owner moves to another state and wants to register their car there, or if a vehicle owner moves to Sikkim and intends to register their car locally, a No Objection Certificate may be issued by the RTO office.
List of ARTO & RTO offices in Sikkim (with codes)
Below are the five ARTO and RTO offices in Sikkim with their RTO code:
Types of Driving Licence Issued at RTO Office Sikkim
In Sikkim, thousands of vehicles are registered with the RTO and are utilized by people for various traveling purposes. You should apply for a licence in Sikkim based on the vehicle or vehicles you could be driving. The categories of driving permit available at the RTO office in Sikkim, including-
• Driving licence for motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 CC or less.
• Light-duty licence for a vehicle used for commercial purposes.
• Open licence or a heavy passenger vehicle licence. (All India Driving Permit for Cars and Trucks)
• Heavy-duty vehicle driving permit
• For those who already have a heavy vehicle driving licence, a heavy trailer licence.
• A light motor vehicle licence for automobiles and motorbikes with gears and engines larger than 50cc.
The above information will help you understand the functions performed and the types of licences/permits offered by RTO Sikkim. The RTO is basically to validate the person & vehicles that are fit and safe to be on the road for traveling purposes. Moreover, it is highly crucial to follow the traffic laws for safety and even have motor insurance to be safeguarded from any financial problems in case of any unforeseen accidents.
Disclaimer: The content provided is for education and informational purpose only, none of the information contained in our blog amounts to any form of opinion or advice. Please go through policy related documents carefully or consult an expert before making any insurance-related decisions.