The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 and Punjab Motor Vehicles Taxation Act of 1924 (Amended 1993) enlist the rules & regulations, which are enforced by every RTO office in Punjab administered by the Transport Department. The state transport commissioner oversees the transportation division, with assistance from two other state transport commissioners.
The RTO (Regional Transport Office) has multiple functions to ensure the road safety of the public traveling on the road.
Functions of RTO Office in Punjab
RTO Punjab carries out the following functions:
• Temporary registration of the vehicle
• Permanent registration of the vehicle
• Transfer of registration certificate
• Renewal of registration certification
• Issue NOC to transfer registration certificate
• Endorsement or termination of hire-purchase agreement
• Update the changes done in the registration certificate
• Issuance and renewal of driving licence
• Issuance and renewal of commercial vehicle permit
• Collecting fees and taxes. Also, collecting fines.
• Issuance of vehicle fitness certificate
List of ARTO & RTO offices in Punjab (with code)
The below table contains the updated list of ARTO and RTO offices:
Types of Driving Licence Issued at RTO Office in Punjab
The following are the types of driving licences issued at the Punjab RTO office:
• A heavy-duty vehicle driving permit
• Light-duty driver's licence without equipment (any cc)
• Light-duty vehicle licence for business purposes
• A two-wheeler licence with an engine capacity of 50 cc or below
• A heavy trailer licence for people who currently hold a heavy vehicle driving licence
• Light-duty licence for a vehicle used for commercial purposes
• Light motor vehicle licence with equipment for engines with a minimum 50 cc capacity.
There are around 76 RTO office in Punjab, as per the latest data. If you want your driving licence, RC, PUC, or want to transfer the vehicle registration to another person, reach out to your respective RTO office. Just be sure to follow all the traffic rules and keep every legal document of the vehicle you own to avoid any legal punishment.
Disclaimer: The content provided is for education and informational purpose only, none of the information contained in our blog amounts to any form of opinion or advice. Please go through policy related documents carefully or consult an expert before making any insurance-related decisions.