RTO office Chennai
Read about RTO Office in Chennai
When it comes to urban planning, and the smooth functioning of the urban system, road development and public transport services are essential. These factors become all the more important in a big metro city such as Chennai. Kanchipuram silk, Chettinad cuisine and Marina Beach are some of the first few things that come to mind at the mention of Chennai. As a tourist-heavy city, the 2780-kilometre road network in Chennai needs to run smoothly and freely, and thus the responsibility for the Chennai RTO is immense.
The RTO in Chennai was created in accordance with the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 and is governed by the state of Tamil Nadu. The Andhra Pradesh Transport Department assists the RTO Office in Chennai with its activities. Finding the RTO that is closest to you and getting your vehicle-related licences or permits on time are made easy when you know the location and opening hours of the Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) in Chennai.
Functions of Chennai RTO
The following functions are performed by Chennai RTO
1. Transfer of a vehicle transport permit
2. Licenses for drivers, conductors, renewals, and endorsements are issued
3. Issuing licences to driving schools and inspecting them
4. Vehicle registration, renewal of registration, and re-registration
5. Transfer of Vehicle Ownership, Endorsement of Hire Purchase
6. Termination and Agreement in Registration Certificate
7. Collection of vehicle-related taxes and levies
8. Examination of the automobiles in incidents
9. Vehicle inspections and the Motor Vehicles Act's regulations are enforced
10. Replacement of the vehicle transport permit
11. Route changes for stagecoaches and minibuses
12. Issue of Vehicle Transport Temporary Permits
Types of vehicle registration in Chennai
Chennai RTO provides two types of Vehicle Registration
1. Permanent registration
You need a permanent registration in order to use your automobiles on public highways. You will be given a Registration Certificate and a Permanent Registration Number as soon as the permanent registration is complete, which could take a few days. To apply for permanent registration, your car must have current insurance.
2. Temporary registration
You can register your car right away through a dealer in temporary registration. The registration is valid for 7 days. If you'd like, you can extend the temporary registration's validity for 30 days; however, you must apply for permanent registration.
Types of driving license issued by Chennai RTO
1. Commercial vehicles license for heavy motor vehicles and passenger vehicles
2. LMV driving license for lightweight vehicles like cars etc.
3. Motorcycle 50CC driving license for two-wheelers with an engine of capacity up to 50CC.
Documents required for obtaining a driving license
You must submit the following documents to obtain a driving license -
1. Your residence proof (for ex Adhaar Card)
2. Form 15 or Form 5
3. Driving license fees
4. Valid learning license
5. Documents of the vehicle.
RTO Offices in Popular Cities in India
How to claim car insurance for own damage
What is Anti Theft Device and its Impact on Car Insurance Premium
Know the benefits and factors that affect car insurance quote
Disclaimer: The content provided is for education and informational purpose only, none of the information contained in our blog amounts to any form of opinion or advice. Please go through policy related documents carefully or consult an expert before making any insurance-related decisions.