Read about RTO Office Assam. For more information, check out the car & bike insurance policy from Kotak General Insurance.
The Regional Transport Office (RTO) is an Indian Government body that is responsible for creating & maintaining a complete and detailed database of all the vehicles on the road as well as the drivers for all the states and union territories of India. Each state, including Assam, has its own RTO department, and it is responsible for carrying out all the functional activities stated in the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988.
The number of vehicles running on the road is increasing on a daily basis, and so do the responsibilities of the RTO Office in Assam. Some of the critical functions and responsibilities are mentioned below -
1. Managing permits issued to various vehicles.
2. Conducting driving tests
3. Issuing, renewing, and managing the Learner’s and Permanent driving licence
4. Inspecting the conditions of the vehicles on the road
5. Registration of vehicles
6. Maintaining the database of all the registered vehicles for all the states/union territories in India.
7. Inspecting vehicle insurance
8. Conducting the mechanical assessment of the accidental vehicles
9. Granting an international driving licence
10.Conducting the pollution test
11.Issuing No Objection Certificate or NOC certificate.
In India, each state and city has its own RTO & ARTO offices, which are responsible for enforcing motor vehicle rules established by the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. Assam also has 31 RTO offices, and each office is assigned a unique RTO code.
Assam new series
In India, there are four variants of driving licences that can be issued to an individual. Following are the different variants of DL issued by the RTO office in Assam -
1. Learner’s Licence
2. Permanent Driving Licence
3. Commercial Driving Licence
4. International Driving Permit
If you want to drive a vehicle in India, then you need to obtain a registration certificate for your vehicle as well as a driving licence. You can easily avail of these services from the official website of Assam RTO. Alternatively, you can use the mParivahan (mobile app of the RTO department) or can directly visit your nearest RTO office in Assam.