Updates over WhatsApp
In India, consuming alcohol while driving is a serious offense.
In India, consuming alcohol while driving is a serious offense. if you are caught drunk driving by the police, you will have to pay heavy fines and may face imprisonment. While you may be under the impression that your motor insurance policy will help you get out of the soup; however, this is not the case. Your motor insurance policy will not be able to provide cover if drunk driving leads to death, damage to property, or bodily injury.
Before understanding the impact of Drunken Driving on Motor Insurance, let’s get to know how alcohol consumption harms your health:
• Low blood pressure
• Decreased reflex responses
• Slow reaction
• Reduced ability to make decisions
• Increased confusion
• Heart stroke
• Digestive problems
• Memory problems
• Mental health issues
• Liver disease
Any individual who gets detected for alcohol consumption that exceeds 30 mg per 100 ml of blood, is said to be driving under the influence of alcohol. This also applies in the case of drugs. Traffic cops check this with the help of a breathalyzer, wherein the person needs to blow in a small pipe-like attachment that is connected to the breathalyzer. The device then displays the amount of alcohol content detected in your blood.
• Whether you have consumed alcohol or an intoxicating substance in a small or large proportion, it can directly have an impact on the way you drive the vehicle. Alcohol consumption leads to drowsiness and blurry vision, which can make you lose focus, and you may not be capable of exercising control over the vehicle. And this is dangerous for you as well as other vehicles plying on the road.
• Drunken driving is one of the major exclusions of a bike/car insurance policy, and you cannot raise a claim request under such conditions. This means that the insured policyholder will not be provided any financial compensation in case the death is due to drunken driving.
• If there is any damage to your bike or car due to drunk driving, you will have to bear the cost of repair and replacement. Not just this, drunk driving can be the reason for third-party death or leave you permanently disabled. So, even if you have a motor insurance policy, you may not be able to recover the damage expenses or claim financial support for your family from the insurer.
• Under Section 185 in the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, driving in a drunken state or using a similar substance like this is punishable as per the law.
• First-time offenders may be imprisoned for up to 6 months and/or pay a fine of Rs. 10,000.
• In case the person is caught for the act again within three years of the incident, then a fine of Rs.15,000 is applicable and/or imprisonment of up to 6 months.
Drunk driving is a serious offense in India. It is not just about getting a claim approved from an insurance policy; life is precious. Always obey traffic laws and avoid drunk driving.
I/we give my/our consent to receive information in respect of policy servicing, claim servicing, updates on my policy, updates on new and existing product, marketing or servicing my relationship with Kotak Mahindra General Insurance Company Limited, its group companies/associates or agents through Telephone/Mobile/SMS/e-Mail, etc. Further, i/we understand that my/our consent to receive calls/communications shall be valid and shall prevail over my/our current or any subsequent registration of my/our number for the NDNC and shall continue to be treated as my/our consent/acceptance. (If you do not wish to accord your consent, please submit a Do Not Call (DNC) form alongwith this form.
I/we have understood the form, including the clause on consent to call, and i/we have agreed the same after understanding and accepting the terms contained therein.
Benefits of car insurance
A car insurance can help you offset substantial financial loss that you may incur because of damage caused to your car
Must have Add On Covers for Car Insurance
A basic comprehensive car insurance covers damage to car, 3rd party liability and theft & loss of vehicle.
Right time to buy vehicle insurance
Buying a vehicle insurance is an important decision and you need to ensure that you make a timely purchase of vehicle insurance
Know How Car Insurance Premium Is Calculated
Car insurance premium calculation is based on various important factors. Learn about these factors.
Rules to follow for safe driving
Know About The Important Road Safety Rules To Follow
Significance of a motor vehicle insurance policy
Apart from financial security, know in what all ways a motor insurance policy is significant.
Maintenance tips for car engine
Follow these maintenance tips and buy a car insurance with engine protection cover to keep engine secure.
Monsoon Tips for Car
Simple tips to help you stay safe and keep your car moving ahead during monsoon.
What is Zero Depreciation Cover
Read on to understand what is zero depreciation car insurance cover and how it works.
Questions Regarding Motor Insurance Policies
Essential questions answered about motor insurance policies in India.
To optimise our site experience on your handheld device, please hold your phone vertically.