Updates over WhatsApp
Electric vehicles (EVs) have now become the future of automobiles, as they protect you from the rising fuel prices. And the government, in order to promote sustainability and motivate people to switch to electric vehicles, have come up with various schemes under FAME.i.e. Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles in India.
But buying an electric vehicle is not the same as buying any conventional car. There are a few factors that impact your decision for buying an electric vehicle. Let's delve into the factors you need to consider before finalising your purchase decision for an electric vehicle.
1. Insurance of electric vehicles: The insurance cost of electric vehicles is more than its other counterparts. The high repair cost and servicing costs of these vehicles attract higher premiums.
It is always advisable to choose a comprehensive policy in the case of electric vehicles so that the insurance adequately covers any damage to the vehicle along with third-party vehicle insurance. You can also choose add-ons to sufficiently cover the replacement cost or repair cost of its parts. In order to promote buying of electric vehicles, IRDA has made it mandatory to offer a 15% discount on third party premiums of EVs.
2. Price of the vehicle: Before you decide to buy an Electric vehicle, consider the vehicle's price as a simple base model of EV starts from approx. Rs. 6 lakhs. The higher price of EV vehicles is due to their cobalt battery. Though manufacturers are trying to make these vehicles budget-friendly by replacing cobalt with nickel, it would still take a few years to gain prominence.
3. Driving range: Driving range of an electric vehicle depends upon its battery life. At the same time, an ideal electric vehicle can deliver a driving range of over 100kms, which is ideal for in-city drives. In case you are a travel enthusiast and wish to drive through cities, EV is not a perfect choice for you. While you can choose to refuel in the case of conventional vehicles, locating a charging station for an electric vehicle can be daunting.
4. Maintenance cost: Maintaining an electric appliance is difficult, so is the case with electric vehicles. The battery of the EVs is the most expensive part. In case of any damage to the battery, the replacement costs are too high. Also, due to its high battery costs and use of advanced technology, the service costs are high, making your motor vehicle insurance expensive for EVs.
5. Battery life: You would need to check the battery life before finalising your purchase decision for EV vehicles. As the prices of the batteries are too high, replacing them would surely burn a hole in your pocket. Currently, the charging stations are adequate in metro cities, but the infrastructure is yet to thrive in other towns.
6. Infrastructure for Charging EV: One of the crucial factors that would affect your purchase decision for electric vehicles is the charging infrastructure which is still at a nascent stage in our country.
7. Incentives & Tax benefits on EV: Section 80EEB allows a tax deduction on interest payment up to Rs.1,50,000 on auto loans taken for purchasing Electric vehicles. In order to encourage the sale of EVs Government of India has reduced the GST for Electric vehicles to make them more affordable.
You can choose Kotak car secure comprehensive car insurance policy and protect yourself and your car from any financial loss.
I/we give my/our consent to receive information in respect of policy servicing, claim servicing, updates on my policy, updates on new and existing product, marketing or servicing my relationship with Kotak Mahindra General Insurance Company Limited, its group companies/associates or agents through Telephone/Mobile/SMS/e-Mail, etc. Further, i/we understand that my/our consent to receive calls/communications shall be valid and shall prevail over my/our current or any subsequent registration of my/our number for the NDNC and shall continue to be treated as my/our consent/acceptance. (If you do not wish to accord your consent, please submit a Do Not Call (DNC) form alongwith this form.
I/we have understood the form, including the clause on consent to call, and i/we have agreed the same after understanding and accepting the terms contained therein.
Benefits of car insurance
A car insurance can help you offset substantial financial loss that you may incur because of damage caused to your car
Must have Add On Covers for Car Insurance
A basic comprehensive car insurance covers damage to car, 3rd party liability and theft & loss of vehicle.
Right time to buy vehicle insurance
Buying a vehicle insurance is an important decision and you need to ensure that you make a timely purchase of vehicle insurance
Know How Car Insurance Premium Is Calculated
Car insurance premium calculation is based on various important factors. Learn about these factors.
Rules to follow for safe driving
Know About The Important Road Safety Rules To Follow
Significance of a motor vehicle insurance policy
Apart from financial security, know in what all ways a motor insurance policy is significant.
Maintenance tips for car engine
Follow these maintenance tips and buy a car insurance with engine protection cover to keep engine secure.
Monsoon Tips for Car
Simple tips to help you stay safe and keep your car moving ahead during monsoon.
What is Zero Depreciation Cover
Read on to understand what is zero depreciation car insurance cover and how it works.
Questions Regarding Motor Insurance Policies
Essential questions answered about motor insurance policies in India.
To optimise our site experience on your handheld device, please hold your phone vertically.