Learn about Bike NOC, ownership transfer, required documents, validity, and online application. Check out Kotak General Insurance's bike insurance policy.
When you avail of a loan to purchase a new bike, it is your responsibility to pay the EMIs (equated monthly instalment) on time till the end of the loan tenure or until you repay the full amount. Once you close the loan, you must get a letter from the concerned authorities, including the lender, confirming the same. Similarly, when you sell your bike or move to a new city, you must get a NOC or no objection certificate.
When you sell your bike or relocate to a new city, you must get a NOC from the RTA (Regional Transport Authority) office and the lender stating that they have no objection over the details mentioned in the certificate. If you have repaid the full loan, you must get a NOC from the lender that you no longer owe any money to them. This is a vital document that you must have as it is a mandatory document to sell or register your bike in the new city.
As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, the bike owner must furbish NOC to complete the bike registration process. If you want to transfer ownership of the vehicle due to owner demise, sale of the bike, or auctioning the bike, the NOC you get from local RTO certifies the authenticity of the ownership transfer.
To avail the NOC from the RTO/RTA, you must submit the following documents:
• Form 28 (duly filled and signed)
• Copy of the bike RC (registration certificate)
• Copy of bike insurance policy
• Copies of road tax payment receipts
• Copy of PUCC (pollution under control certificate)
• Details of the engine and chassis number To avail NOC for bike from the lending institution, you must submit following documents:
• Registration certificate
• Loan documents
• Other documents as required by the lender (it may vary from one lender to another)
You must follow a specific procedure while applying for bike NOC online to the RTO and the lending institution. Below are some of the steps to apply for NOC in both cases.
Applying for bike NOC with the lender
• Visit the lender’s official website or mobile application
• Log into your account and download the NOC Applying for bike NOC with the RTO
• Visit the Vahan Citizen Services website
• Select your state and RTO
• Click on the ‘log on to avail services’ tab, and you would be redirected to a new page
• On the new page, click on ‘Application for No Objection Certificate’ option
• Enter your bike’s registration number, and the last five digits of the chassis number
• Your application will be generated. Make sure to review it thoroughly and check if all the details mentioned therein are correct
• Enter the details of the two wheeler Insurance in the application form
• Select the new state’s RTO code and click on save
• Pay the application fees, and take a print out or save the payment receipt for future reference
The bike NOC you get from the RTO or the lender has limited validity, which are as follows:
NOC issued by
Regional Transport Office (RTO)
180 days or six months
90 days or three months
Now that you know the importance of NOC and the steps to get one, make sure that you follow the process correctly to avoid any unwanted delays. Also, always have this vital document handy, it is useful for selling the bike, transferring the ownership of the bike or registering it in a new city.