Everything you should know about Driving License in West Bengal
Driving License Process in West Bengal
A valid driving license from any Indian state gives the driver the legal freedom to drive anywhere, anytime in India, as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. And this is applicable to the driving license in the state of West Bengal. The different aspects of getting a license to drive in West Bengal are discussed in detail here:
Types of driving licenses in West Bengal
1. For Motorcycles without gear for driving mopeds and scooters.
2. Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs) license to drive two-wheelers, motorcycles, and cars.
3. Transport Vehicles license for driving a jeep, lorry, trailer, or truck.
Who is eligible to drive in West Bengal?
1. For a Light Motor Vehicle learner's license, the age must be 18 years.
2. For a Commercial Vehicle license, the applicant needs to be at least 18 years of age.
3. An applicant can get a Light Motor Vehicle license at 16 years of age if the vehicle is below 50 ccs.
Documents required for a driving license application in West Bengal
• Any age proof such as birth certificate, passport, PAN card, SSC certificate, etc.
• Address proof such as an Aadhar card, passport, voter's ID, utility bills, etc.
• Passport-size photographs along with application Form 4 and application Form 5 while applying for a commercial DL. An application fee of Rs. 200 and a medical certificate & physical fitness form 1 and 1A.
Application process for online driving license
• Visit the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways- parivahan.gov.in/parivahan
• Click on online services. Select new driving license-related services
• Enter the name of the state (where you want to apply).
• Click on apply online. Select "new driving license."
• Fill in the applicant's details
• Upload scanned copies of the required documents
• Pay the application fee
• Book a slot for the DL test
• Appear for the test on the scheduled date and time
• Pass the test.
This process works best for those who want to complete the maximum process of online driving license from the convenience of their home.
Offline application process for driving license
• Visit the nearby RTO office
• Get the application form from the RTO or through vahan.wb.nic.in
• Fill out the form
• Submit the form to the RTO and the required documents
• Pay the application fee
• Book a driving test slot
• Visit the RTO to give the test
• Pass the test to obtain the DL
How to get a duplicate driving license in West Bengal?
In case of loss, theft, or damage of the original DL, West Bengal RTO issues a duplicate driving license. For loss of a driving license, submit an application, and in case of theft, an FIR is required to be filed.
• Attested affidavit stating the loss
• Age and address proof documents
• Application Form LLD
• Application fee of Rs.250
• FIR copy, if the license is lost
• Driving license details
Do it within six months from the date of loss of the original DL; otherwise, obtain special permission from the headquarters. An affidavit is filed stating that the original DL will be returned to RTO in case it is found. Apply online or at the RTO. Driving license is also one of the most important documents required for filing a claim.
Car Insurance Coverage for Off Road Driving
Consequences of not having Motor Insurance in India
Importance of Buying Car Insurance for Your Second Hand Car
Disclaimer: The content provided is for education and informational purpose only, none of the information contained in our blog amounts to any form of opinion or advice. Please go through policy related documents carefully or consult an expert before making any insurance-related decisions.