A Step-by-Step Guide to Dealing with a Parked Car Accident
What happens when you come to your parked car after a long day of shopping and see someone has hit it? Do you panic, stress, or keep calm? Do you know what to do in such a situation?
Accidents can happen anywhere, even if you have parked your car safely in a secure spot. It is essential to be prepared for such a scenario so that if god forbid such a situation occurs, you know what to do. Even if the car damage is too much, taking the proper steps can save you a lot of stress and even some money by claiming your comprehensive car insurance.
Here is your step-by-step guide to acting intelligently in case of a parked car accident.
1. Stay calm: Do not get angry or into a heated argument with the driver, as this may aggravate the situation. Instead, take a few breaths and assess the situation smartly.
2. Collect evidence: Take photos of the damage caused to your car and the license plate of the vehicle that hit your car. It can help you with insurance claims and legal proceedings.
3. Gather information: Try to get the contact information of the driver who hit your car, including their name, phone number, address, driver's license number, and insurance information.
4. File an FIR: A police report will come in handy in case of insurance claims and legal proceedings.
5. Notify your insurance company: Contact your insurance company as soon as possible and provide them with all the necessary information, including photos, the driver's contact information, and the police report, if applicable.
6. Get your car repaired: Depending on the extent of the damage, you may need to get your car repaired. You can either file a claim with the other driver's insurance company or use your own insurance policy if you have collision coverage.
7. Follow up: You need to follow up with your insurance company to ensure that your claim is processed and that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Car parked accidents occur too often, and therefore, it is important to know how to claim insurance in such a scenario. Parked car accidents can occur in two ways:
1. You have the driver's information: In case the driver leaves his contact details or the car hits in front of you, and the driver is willing to cooperate, then you can file a third-party car insurance claim under the other person's insurance policy.
2. You do not have the driver's information: It is also possible that you face a hit-and-run incident, i.e., the driver hit your car and ran away, and there is no way to track down the driver. In such a case, you can claim insurance under the "Own-damage cover," which covers accidental losses or damages to your car. However, you need to have comprehensive car insurance to claim such benefits.
So, if someone hits your parked car, try to stay calm, gather as much information as possible, report the incident to the police and your insurance company, and get your car repaired as soon as possible.
You can always buy car insurance online or offline, but remember to get the comprehensive one for better coverage.