Updates over WhatsApp
India has one of the largest automobile industries in the world. With millions of new cars registered every year, the number of cars plying on the roads has increased exponentially in the past few years. The increasing number of cars, the congested road, and bad driving habits has also been a major contributor to the rising number of road accidents. Although the Government of India has various road safety measures in place, people continue to nonchalantly violate them.
One of the most common traffic rules violations observed in India is driving on the wrong side of the road. According to the ‘Road Accident in India 2019’ report, driving on the wrong side of the road was the second biggest cause of fatal accidents on highways. In 2020, wrong-side driving was responsible for 6% of accidental deaths.
Considering the blatant violation of the traffic rules in India, the Ministry of Road Transport has made some changes to the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Under the new rules, the fines for all traffic violations have been increased with the aim to encourage people to adhere to the traffic rules.
If you are stopped by the traffic authorities, they will ask you to furbish certain documents, including:
• driving licence
• copy of the RC (registration certificate)
• PUCC (copy of the latest pollution under control certificate)
• copy of car insurance policy (for cars) and two-wheeler insurance policy (for bikes)
Apart from checking the documents, the traffic officials will issue a challan for wrong-side driving. Additionally, if you fail to furnish any of the above documents, the authorities will charge an additional penalty.
The charges for driving on the wrong side of the road, includes
• Fine or penalty of Rs. 500 – Rs. 1000
• Imprisonment up to three months
Moreover, the traffic authorities may revoke your driving licence for up to three months, if the offence led to serious trouble. Many states in India consider driving on the wrong side as a non-compoundable mistake. This means, you cannot make an excuse for it as it is done by choice and not by mistake.
To avoid driving on the wrong side of the road and getting penalised for it, you must strictly abide by the traffic rules. Remember, while driving, you are responsible for your own safety and others’ safety on the road. So, every time you drive, be a responsible driver, and observe the following precautions.
• Always appropriate safety gear. If you are riding a bike, wear a good helmet. If you are riding with a pillion, ensure they wear a helmet too.
• Don’t drink and drive. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious offence in India. It may lead to heavy penalties up to Rs. 10,000 depending on the alcohol level in the blood. You may also face imprisonment for up to two years, if you are a repeated offender.
• Wear your seatbelt. Driving without a seatbelt is also a traffic rule violation. If you are caught, you may have to pay a hefty fine. Apart from adhering to the rule, wearing the seat belt is vital to save your life during an accident.
• Renew your insurance policy. If you ride a bike, ensure that you always carry a copy of valid bike insurance. Make sure that you renew your two wheeler insurance online on time, as driving with a licence is a traffic rule violation.
Buy or renew your bike insurance with Kotak General Insurance
If you are looking for a new bike insurance policy or want to renew the existing one, you can renew it from Kotak General Insurance renewal page. For new policy buyers, you can buy Kotak Long Term Two-Wheeler Secure, it comes with a range of attractive features and benefits. The premium is affordable and you get extensive coverage. Visit the Kotak two-wheeler insurance page to know more about the plan.
Benefits of car insurance
A car insurance can help you offset substantial financial loss that you may incur because of damage caused to your car
Must have Add On Covers for Car Insurance
A basic comprehensive car insurance covers damage to car, 3rd party liability and theft & loss of vehicle.
Right time to buy vehicle insurance
Buying a vehicle insurance is an important decision and you need to ensure that you make a timely purchase of vehicle insurance
Know How Car Insurance Premium Is Calculated
Car insurance premium calculation is based on various important factors. Learn about these factors.
Rules to follow for safe driving
Know About The Important Road Safety Rules To Follow
Significance of a motor vehicle insurance policy
Apart from financial security, know in what all ways a motor insurance policy is significant.
Maintenance tips for car engine
Follow these maintenance tips and buy a car insurance with engine protection cover to keep engine secure.
Monsoon Tips for Car
Simple tips to help you stay safe and keep your car moving ahead during monsoon.
What is Zero Depreciation Cover
Read on to understand what is zero depreciation car insurance cover and how it works.
Questions Regarding Motor Insurance Policies
Essential questions answered about motor insurance policies in India.