A motor insurance claim is one of the most stressful situations you will go through in life. You have a lot to worry about and need to know if your medical bill will be covered or if something serious is wrong. However, there are certain things you should prepare for before getting a car repaired and paying out of your pocket.
In this article, we'll cover an overview of how claims are handled by insurance companies and what steps you can take to improve the chances that your claim is dealt with correctly.
Motor insurance claim types:
There are two types of claim settlements of motor insurance:
• Third-party insurance claims
If the insured vehicle damages any third-party property or harms any third-party individual, the insurance provider will reimburse the person for the damage or loss incurred.
• Own-damage insurance claims
If the insured vehicle incurs any damage or loss due to any natural or human-made cause, the insurance provider will reimburse the total loss or damage received.
The third-party insurance claim process
Here is a step-by-step procedure of how you can file third-party claims for motor insurance:
1) Inform your insurance provider about the collision as soon as possible.
2) File an FIR at any local police station.
3) Share a photocopy of your insurance policy with the third-party
4) Your insurance provider will take care of the compensation on your behalf.
The own-damage insurance claim process
Here is a step-by-step procedure of how you can file own-damage claims for motor insurance:
1) Visit any authorised network garage.
2) Contact your insurance provider.
3) The insurance company will send a surveyor to inspect the insured car and offer an estimated amount of repair required.
4) The garage will finish the repair work once approved by the surveyor.
5) The insurance provider will settle the bill with the garage directly.
6) You will need to pay any extra amount not covered by your insurance policy (if applicable).
• Contact your insurance provider and inform them about the claim filing.
• The insurance company will send a surveyor to inspect the insured car and offer an estimated amount of repair required.
• You can get your car repaired once approved by the surveyor.
• Settle the repair bill with the garage.
• Send all the relevant documents, including the repair bills, policy documents, and bank information, to your insurance provider.
• The insurance company will go through your documents and then reimburse the amount spent, deducting any amount not covered by your current policy. (if applicable).
The bottom line
You need to be adequately prepared for what could happen next. If you are not, you are just setting yourself up for unnecessary stress and financial strain. Remember to pay close attention to how your motor insurance claim is handled. You should always feel like you're being treated fairly. Take the necessary steps to secure a smooth, worry-free claim.
Disclaimer: The content provided is for education and informational purpose only, none of the information contained in our blog amounts to any form of opinion or advice. Please go through policy related documents carefully or consult an expert before making any insurance-related decisions.