Engine protection coverage in car insurance: its features, benefits & the claim process. Get more information about car insurance policy from Kotak General Insurance.
Keeping the car's engine in good condition is crucial because even the slightest damage will require you to pay for the engine repair or replacement. Usually, a standard comprehensive car insurance policy covers the damages caused to your property, bodily injuries, and third-party expenses. Along with this policy, you have the option to enhance the policy coverage through various add-ons. One of them being the engine protection cover.
The engine protection covers consequential loss to engine & gear box parts because of water ingression and oil leakage due to accidental undercarriage damage. Such incidents may compel you to replace or repair your car's engine or parts. Hence, buying an engine protection add-on can be helpful in such cases.
The add-on insurance cover is ideal for policyholders living in flood-prone areas. It is also beneficial if you drive a luxury car or want to provide added protection to your car's engine.
Including engine protection cover under the comprehensive car insurance policy provides various features and benefits. However, this would vary for different insurance companies. Typically, the add-on cover would cover the expenses related to the following engine problems
• Damage caused to the vehicle due to hydrostatic lock. This happens when you start when the water has already entered the engine
• Damage due to leakage of lubricating oil
• Covers damage related to pistons, connecting rod, and gearbox
• Damages to the engine caused due to natural calamities
• Normal wear and tear
• Consequential losses due to indirect event
• There is a limit on the number of claims you raise for engine problems
• Not applicable for cars older than five years
• Starting the engine forcefully
You can apply for a car insurance claim for engine damage like any other claim. If you have an engine protection add-on cover from Kotak General Insurance, following are the steps:
Step 1: Get in touch with the insurance company at 1 800 266 4545 (8 a.m. – 8 p.m.) and inform about the insurer about the incident
Step 2: Once you raise a claim request, you will get a Claim Reference Number from the insurer
Step 3: You need to submit documents like RC of the vehicle, Driving Licence, Policy copy, etc
Step 4: The insurance company will assign a surveyor to assess the damage
Step 5: If it is a cashless claim, the payment will be directly made to the garage network by the insurer. However, you will be required to pay for the deductibles as mentioned in your policy.
Step 6: If the insurance approved the claim for reimbursement, you need to pay for the repair or replacement of the car's engine and the required amount will be refunded by the insurer. For the latter, make sure you submit all the bills and payment receipt within the 7 working days.
To keep your engine fit and functional, here are some of the easy maintenance tips you can do at your end:
• Check for the oil levels every month • Check your car engine's airflow to eliminate mileage issues
• Leakage of fuel should be repaired immediately
• Overheating the engine can cause irreversible damage to the car's functioning.
• Never miss servicing your vehicle as per the schedule
To ensure your car's engine is protected against damages, you can opt for the engine protection add-on cover and include it under your comprehensive car insurance policy. However, you would be required to pay an extra premium for the additional coverage. You can easily opt for an engine protection cover if you buy Kotak Car Secure policy from Kotak General Insurance.