All about endorsements in a car insurance policy
An individual's car insurance policy contains documentation regarding the premium rate for calculation, the date of expiration, and so on. It is necessary to evaluate the insurance policy to ensure that it is free of discrepancies. The process of endorsement insurance helps you get rid of such problems.
What is an endorsement?
The endorsement in insurance refers to the process of altering details mentioned in the policyholder’s insurance policy document. This rectification process is to modify the already prepared policy in case of misprints or if you want to do some alterations. Therefore, an agreement is drawn between the policyholder and the insurance company to incorporate alteration in the insurance policy.
Different types of car insurance endorsement
Car insurance endorsements are of two types: basic and advanced.
Essential endorsements involve all those changes affecting the details of the policyholder.
• Modifications that you want to do in the policy owner’s name, address, and contact number.
• Modifications must be made to the insured vehicle’s engine number, chassis number, registration number, and fuel mode- Petrol or CNG.
Progressive changes are related to the amendments and extras that you feel are needed in the comprehensive car insurance policy. All such alterations might have a great impact on the overall policy.
• A significant alteration that you want to make to the interior or exterior of the insured vehicle.
• Amendments you want to make to the insured car’s policy coverage include add-ons, anti-theft devices, voluntary deductibles, and so on.
• In case of errors found in the premium calculation, calculation of No Claim Bonus, and so on.
Insurance endorsement validity
Endorsement insurance is generally applied immediately after the policy is purchased by the policyholder. However, it can also be applied during the policy period or sometime before the renewal.
It is determined by the type of endorsement made and the terms and policies of the insurance company. The validity of the endorsement is applicable for the period until the policy expires. However, the period of applicability or its details may vary from one policy to another.
Steps to be followed for car insurance endorsement
The process is simple and hassle-free and can be done by following some simple steps.
• Enquire about the process of car insurance endorsement from your car insurance company.
• You will be asked to either apply online through an email or you will have to submit a written endorsement request.
• Once done, submit all the appropriate documents that justify your request for endorsement. In case you have any doubt about the required documents, contact your insurance company to know about it.
• As you submit the documents, the insurance company will then conduct the verification process against your application.
• If the insurance company finds the application justified, they will approve it and ask for the applicable changes to calculate the premium.
• After this, the insurer will issue the Endorsement Certificate for your insurance plan. This is the official record of the changes and amendments to your car Insurance policy documents.
• As the last process, the insurer will issue the new policy with the changes done.
You can do as many car insurance endorsements as you want. But remember that too much of it can create mistakes in records, creating problems at the time of claims. However, ensure all the details are correct, as it might also cause issues in the future.
Disclaimer: The content provided is for education and informational purpose only, none of the information contained in our blog amounts to any form of opinion or advice. Please go through policy related documents carefully or consult an expert before making any insurance-related decisions.