Breast cancer awareness month 2022 - causes, symptoms, and treatment
October is observed as a Breast Cancer Awareness month every year. It is an annual event to spread awareness about breast cancer and regularise talking about it. Over the years, breast cancer has become one of the most common types of cancer among women, claiming many lives.
However, the good news is that if the cancer is detected early, and you get treatment at an early stage, chances are high that you can beat the cancer. Breast cancer awareness month first started in 1985, and since then it has become an annual campaign worldwide under the American Cancer Society and Imperial Chemical Industries.
The main objective of this month is to educate women worldwide about breast cancer treatment, make them aware of the symptoms and treatment options available, reduce the stigma around it, and encourage diagnosis of breast cancer. Let us know more about it.
• Many non-profits and healthcare charity organisations, organise many events to raise funds for the patients.
• Individuals, NGOs, business entities, conduct awareness programs, free health check-ups, and seminars to help breast cancer patients deal with the stress and anxiety during the treatment.
• Some organisations educate women and people in general about the importance of early detection of breast cancer and cancer treatment. They also distribute educational material to help people know everything they need to know about breast cancer.
Breast cancer is a type of cancer that forms in the breast cells and if it is left undiagnosed, over the years, it can grow out of control and spread to different parts through lymph and blood vessels.
In most cases, the breast tumours start in the duct, and they are called ductal cancer. The tumours in the lobules are known as lobules cancer. However, you must know that not all kinds of lumps in the breast are cancerous, and they are not life-threatening. Hence, it is paramount that you immediately consult a doctor, if you notice any lumps or signs of breast cancer.
Although the breast cancer symptoms vary from one person to another, most common warning signs noted among women are:
• Swelling or pain in one or both breasts
• Sudden and unexplained change in shape of breast or colour of nipples
• Fluid discharge from breasts
• Feeling of a lump formation inside the breast
Researchers worldwide have identified a few factor that may cause cancer, such as:
• One of the most common causes observed among breast cancer patients worldwide is inherited mutated genes
• Radiation treatments also increase the increase of cancer
• Mensuration or menopause at an early age
• Late pregnancy
• Women who take hormone replacement therapy are at a higher risk of developing cancer
• Regularly consuming alcohol and smoking put women at high risk of developing tumour in the breast
Depending on how serious the condition of the person is, they will need more intensive treatment. The doctors usually determine the best treatment option based on the signs and stage of the cancer, and the person’s physical condition. Some of the common breast cancer treatment options are:
• Breast-conserving surgery
• Radiation therapy
• Hormone therapy
While you cannot prevent breast cancer, you can be ready to face such a situation by having a robust health insurance policy. The treatment of cancer can be high, and it can run into several lakhs. Besides, you may also need to post treatment care. A health insurance would give you enough financial coverage to deal with the expenses.
Today, there are many specialised cancer-related health insurance plans that offer comprehensive coverage. Make sure that you compare the different plans and choose the one that suits your needs the best. You can consider buying a policy from us at Kotak General Insurance and choose among variety of policies at affordable premiums.